Do I need commercial insurance for my Easton, MD home office?

Even if you already have renters or homeowners insurance, you probably need commercial insurance for your Easton, MD home business. If your business is involved in an incident that could potentially involve a legal claim, your personal insurance will not cover it. Ashley Insurance can help explain your options to ensure you have the protection you need.

Questions To Ask Yourself

Here are some questions you can ask yourself to decide whether you need personal insurance and what kind:

  • Do clients visit your home as part of your business activities?
  • Do you keep your work materials and equipment, including your laptop, in your home?
  • Do you employ others to assist with your business?
  • Would unrelated damage to your home, such as a fire, interrupt your business?

If you say yes to any of these questions, you face risks you could protect with the proper coverage.

Different Kinds Of Commercial Insurance For Your Home Business

There are several different kinds of insurance you may want to consider. The most common insurance, and one that almost everyone needs, is general liability insurance. This protects you from damages and injuries to third parties. Even if you use your personal vehicle for work, you should have auto insurance, as your personal policy will not pay for work-related claims.

If you have a home office, your business may be based on offering professional services. Professional liability insurance, or errors and omissions (E & O) insurance, will protect you if you make a mistake due to negligence. Worker’s compensation insurance is usually required by law if you have employees for your Easton, MD home office.

These aren’t the only kinds of protection you get. Please feel free to call Ashley Insurance so we can help you assess your risks.