You just bought your first car. The open road is calling your name. All you need now is the right car insurance plan. At Ashley Insurance, we happily serve guests of all ages and stages of life. If this is your first time buying car insurance, this is your go-to guide.
What You Need:
There are just a few things you will need to provide when you purchase your vehicle’s insurance. For starters, you will need to know about the different types of auto insurance you’d like to include in your policy. You will also need to provide some important details about your car, including the year, make, and model. Additional personal information and documentation will also be required:
- Your valid drivers’ license
- Date of birth
- Marital status
- Education level
- Driving history
- Insurance history
For future reference, your driving history affects your insurance rates. So does your location. While you may not have much control over the location factor, driving safely is the best way to ensure you receive the lowest possible rates after buying car insurance for the first time.
Insurance Tips For First Time Car-Buyers
Anyone wondering how to buy car insurance for the first time could benefit from a tip or two. Here are just a few of the basics that will help you during the process:
- You can and should get insurance before you buy your car – All you need is the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). If you already picked out the car you plan on buying, contact the dealership to find out the VIN and our experts will get you started.
- Cost varies – For first time buyers, car insurance typically costs slightly more than for experienced drivers. This is normal. Experienced drivers are considered at a lower risk level. As long as you drive safely, your rates will go down eventually!
- Compare quotes – All insurance companies are different. At Ashley Insurance, we offer great rates no matter your driving experience. Use our Get A Quote tool to compare rates across various insurance companies so you can ensure you are getting the right plan.
- Find out what is required – In some states, higher levels of insurance are required by law. Speak with our experts to create a plan with everything you will need. Skipping this step could leave you paying for unnecessary expenses.
- Purchase as much insurance as you can afford – While it’s not necessary for you to purchase every little bit of coverage, you should still try to make sure that your vehicle is as protected as possible. Our experts can help you figure out which types of coverage you may need. At the very least, those buying car insurance for the first time should purchase minimum liability coverage.
- Think carefully before changing your policy – Here’s a few ways you can intuitively time future auto insurance policy changes.
If you are a parent looking for tips on insuring your teen driver, click here!
The short answer is, yes. In fact, car dealerships should not even allow you to leave the lot without car insurance. Dealerships aren’t as concerned if you are buying the vehicle outright, but those who are financing or leasing will often need to purchase comprehensive and collision coverage.
Find the Right Auto Insurance Plan
Don’t let your car insurance cause you too much stress. This basic requirement is simple and affordable to acquire, as long as you have the right insurance company that is working for you. Contact the team at Ashley Insurance to hear about our low rates and receive more guidance about buying car insurance for the first time!